Wednesday, October 24, 2007

More Fishies

If you've ever read my other blog, you may know that Rob and I went on vacation this summer to Cape Hatteras, where we went deep sea fishing. Yeah. And caught this guy:


That’s a wahoo, which is a firm, dense white fish. I know, completely horrifying, right? What’s even more horrifying is the sheer amount of fish in our freezer that Rob’s stepmother passed off on us.

Fortunately, this past weekend we’d gone to the Pumpkin Festival at a local orchard/farm

and picked up some apple cider. So if you’re gonna get cider, you gotta get bourbon. And if you’re gonna get bourbon, you gotta glaze something.


Bourbon-Glazed Wahoo

(adapted from Cooking Light)
This would also work with salmon, tuna, or any other dense fish. Adjust the cooking time as necessary. Actually, you could probably use it on chicken or other meats too. It's got a really sweet Asian flavor, so that seems like it'd be good.

In a Ziploc bag, mix (per fillet of fish)
1.5 TBS brown sugar
1.5 TBS bourbon (I used Evan Williams, because it’s cheap but doesn’t taste like it and it reminds me of swigging from a flask in places you're not really allowed to have a flask)
1 TBS soy sauce
1 minced clove of garlic
the juice of one lime half
a good sprinkling of ginger and some black pepper.
Marinade these for about an hour or so, flipping the bag over a few times and really rubbing the marinade in. Yeah, rub that marinade in goooood. Mmmm--what? Anyway.

After the fishies are done marinating, heat a skillet on your stove until it’s good and hot. Dump the whole bag in, marinade and all. This wahoo took for-e-ver to cook, because it was thicker than my arm. I’d estimate it was about 8-10 minutes per side. If you had salmon, which cooks considerably more quickly, I’d guess about 4-5 minutes per side. Just poke at it a little, you’ll be able to tell when it’s done. Anyway, after the fish is done, drizzle it with the sauce leftover in the pan from the marinade. It’s so good. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.



I served this with my go-to Asian side dish, Sesame Rice. I think this also may have originally come from Cooking Light too, but I’m not sure.
Quick fact about me—I cannot, to save my life, cook rice. It always comes out wrong. It’s always too sticky, not sticky enough, scorched on the bottom, whatever. I can’t do it. Thus, I resort to my only real cooking shortcut, the Walmart to my gourmet: boil-in-bag rice. You know, you can’t win em all. And I’m okay with that.
So, cook your rice and have it all ready to go. In a skillet, heat a little sesame oil. I prefer the dark kind, but the light would work too. Add to this a few handfuls of peas, carrots, broccoli, snow peas, whatever you want and some sliced green onions. The onions are key. Cook this all together for a few minutes, as long as it takes to get your veggies to a nice texture. Add a few shakes of soy sauce and some Sriracha. Mix well. Add the cooked rice and toss the whole thing together until it is well-mixed and well-heated. Turn off the heat, mix in some sesame seeds, and scarf.

Rob's review:
8.5/10 hot dogs. He said it would have been higher had the rice not been so spicy (so, I MAY have gone a bit overboard with the Sriracha, but I liked it!)

2 comments:

JulieGong said...

that seriously looks amazing.

ps - i love this blog!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
What is Sriracha?