Monday, October 8, 2007

Not a Pie Man

Normally I’m not a big fan of being dependent on recipes—I think it’s better to have a good understanding of food and flavors and how they work together, but when it comes to baking: 1) I am vaguely inept and 2) as a craft, it requires a lot of precision. So here is the Whole Foods recipe that I adapted slightly for Robbo’s birthday, even though he doesn’t really like pie. Because, you know, I like pie.

Pumpkin-Apple Pie
Serves 8

1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced

1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar, granulated
3/4 cup pumpkin, mashed (fresh or canned)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon ginger, ground
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell

Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the water and butter. Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Carefully add the apple slices and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Combine the egg, sugar, pumpkin, 1/4 teaspoon salt, spices, and evaporated milk in a bowl. Beat until well blended using a rotary or electric mixer set on low speed. Pour the apple mixture into the unbaked pie shell and then spoon an even layer of the pumpkin mixture over the apple mixture. Bake in a preheated 425°F oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375°F, and bake for another 40 minutes, or until the filling is set around the edges. Cool on a wire rack.

Here it is (with vanilla ice cream, because what’s the point of pie if it’s not a vehicle to carry ice cream to your mouth?):


Robbo’s review:
Like I said, he doesn’t really like pie, but Rob also claims to not like things he’s never tried. He looked at it and said, “I’m nervous!” He took a bite, swallowed and said, “Well, it’s not bad.”
So, 6.5 out of a possible 10 hot dogs.



Caveat: As a pie fan, I thought this was awesome. On Thanksgiving, I always have to pick between pumpkin and apple pie because I never have room for both—PEOPLE, this pie is both!
And Rob’s dad asked that we leave the leftovers at his house, so I call this pie a winner! Rob is full of it!

1 comment:

......... said...

I was hoping you'd post this recipe. Ever since you mentioned it to me, I'd been looking up different pie recipes in my cookbooks (since I don't have the innernets at home) trying to figure out how it would work! Do you mix the apples in, drizzel them on top? NO! They have their own layer! Duh!

Thanks again KT!