Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Am Really Gonna Miss the Farmer's Markets

After another successful farmer’s market outing (please don’t go away for the winter, farmer’s markets! Please? I just really love cooking with seasonal, locally grown vegetables. God!) I decided to roast everything that looked good and make cilantro pesto with some pasta. It turned out better than I expected.

Roasted Veggie Pasta with Cilantro Pesto



I’ve always been a fan of basil pesto, but I’ve been on such a cilantro kick lately that I figured it would work too.

So I made this with butternut squash, zucchini and red potatoes. To roast them, begin with the squash (cut it in half, scrape the innards out, cut off the hard outer shell while being very careful not to lose a finger, because that shell is hard as hell to cut off, then cube the flesh.) Add the cubed zucchini and halved potatoes. Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and a little Italian seasoning. Bake on a cookie sheet or in a roasting pan for about 30 minutes for all of them. Stir occasionally, and adjust cooking times for how well-done you like your veggies. Make sure to read Rob's review for more info on this.

For the cilantro pesto, I mixed a big handful of cilantro leaves, olive oil, fresh grated parmesan, peanuts, salt and pepper. I really have no idea what the measurements were here, but start with a little olive oil and keep adding more (or add a bit of water, if you’re worried about fat EVEN THOUGH IT’S THE GOOD FAT) until it’s the consistency you want.

I garnished with peanuts and parmesan to mirror the flavors in the pesto and served the whole thing over whole wheat rotini, to a very dubious boyfriend. The words “cilantro pesto” are enough to make him run for the nearest Burger King.



Rob's review:

Surprisingly, he didn't cry, or stick out his tongue, or pound his fists on the floor! He just said the zucchini was a little overcooked and gave it 7.5 hot dogs. Whew! To counteract that, i think next time I'd just roast the squash and potatoes together and saute the zucchini in a little oil on the stove, just for a few minutes. It can't seem to handle the long cooking process of roasting without getting flimsy and a little gross. Lesson learned. Anyway...



There you have it.

3 comments:

Eve said...

Wait, so how was the pesto? I've always wondered about cilantro pesto. What would you do to chang it, if anything? Did the parm work? How about the peanuts?

Eve said...

Oh yeah, I found you through five of niner.

k_maxi said...

Hi Eve! I thought the flavor of the pesto was really good, but next time I'd probably add a bit more liquid to thin it out. I couldn't really tell how thick it was in the blender, and then once I dumped it out, it was kind of too late. Oh well!